Adulting is nothing like it was advertised to be...

I remember waking up to realize I'd wet the bed with urine. It was a sleepover and apparently, I had to tell her mom it was water that poured on the bed. 

Obviously, she didn't buy the lie. 

I was only 10. Joy was 11, and this was many years ago. The sleepover is sadly the only vivid memory I still have of my childhood with Joy's family. We're distant cousins, sort of. Although I did have a mild crush on her then.

For some reason, our families stopped relating. Then many years later, I bump into one of Joy's picture on Facebook— the rest they say, is history. 

Fast forward, 2022. Joy Brownson is now an actress.

I'm a writer.

Anyways, I asked to have her on my blog and she agreed.

I'm excited though I must say, I'm more curious than I am excited. Here we go...

Joy, about childhood, do you still remember any moment from the time my younger sister and I would sleepover at your place? Basically, I think the only reason I still remember the bedwetting incident is because it's still on my list of "Most embarrassing Moments of My Life" ๐Ÿ˜‚ But how about you? Do you still have memories?

JOY: Let me just start by saying, my memory sucks. I don’t have a vivid recollection of anything related to childhood. Just batches of events. I do remember when that Ghanaian pastor was around. Y’all would come and join the prayers (God I hated it!). Then I remember when we played with Rita’s tricycle. And I remember how stubborn you were. You’re always the first to get into trouble ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…. I guess you can thank my memory for skipping the bed wetting bit. That’s a story I’d have loved to tell though. 


Haha! Thank God. So recently, you starred in a hit series, "The 5Alive Girls", where you played the role of the unpopular high school girl who was always in a fued with the "Queen bee" of the school. Did you at any point relate with the character? Or were you the Queen bee in High school? What was high school like, for you?


 JOY: No way!! Jane(the character) is way too bold. I was never one to challenge anyone, let alone take on another person’s fight. I don’t relate with the character but I also wasn’t a “queen bee”. I was mostly on my own lane. For me, popularity in high school came with the drama of being a fine girl ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. I never went out looking for it, but it came. So many stories from that era. Anyway, popularity as a junior (ss1/2) student came with its own stress and to avoid a lot of it, I had to learn to enjoy my own company. Mostly because the people that I would have loved to hang out with were the people that would get me in trouble ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.




Okay... So, usually, whenever I meet childhood friends, especially those I'd lost touch with for years— most of the times, I like to know what they think of adulthood. For the guys, I often like to know what happened in the gap between bathing naked under the rain and having to shave your beards every weekend in a salon. 

Hah! So Joy, what does adulting feel like?

JOY: Adulting is nothing like it was advertised to be ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ.  It’s hard, it’s cold, it’s lonely. Even the freedom sef becomes a burden because now you have to be responsible with it. As I’m writing I’m thinking of the perks of being an adult and nothing is coming to mind. Do I want to be a child again? Maybe under different circumstances, yes!!. But then, hard as it gets, it’s much easier to navigate when you let life guide you. In my 6years as an official adult, I’ve learned that keeping the child in you alive is very important in adulting. 


Joy, you've got any embarrassing moment in your life? Do tell.


JOY: Aha! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜…. I do have one very very very embarrassing moment. Okay, so I attended a Federal government College (imagine the crowd) and then one time during our external exam (WAEC, English) I was called out in front of all the Ss3 students(female and few males. Over 100) and accused of having sex in a classroom (of course it was a lie!). Damn! I was ready to die. ๐Ÿ˜‚. At that moment, I could have given anything to just disappear. Crazy times. And I still see the girl that pointed at me till date. I’m not even mad at her anymore but on that day, the only thing stopping me from beating her up was that she is SS (genotype) and I wasn’t  ready to be a murderer just yet.

If you were stuck on an island and you had the chance to pick just one person to keep you company, who would that be?

JOY: My answer to this question changes a lot depending on who’s holding the beacon in my life at the moment. Right now, it’s my Alobam ๐Ÿ˜‡



Random question, during the early years of your teen, at what age did you plan on getting married? I actually had planned 22, but here we are— as single as the word "single" implies.๐Ÿ˜‚

How about you, what age did you have in mind?

JOY: Fun fact is, I’ve never really planned my wedding in my head. I know girls start doing this stuff early but I’ve never really romanticized marriage. I’m indifferent about it. It’ll come when it’s ready. If it doesn’t, no case ๐Ÿ˜‡


Thank you so much Joy for your time and for agreeing to share bits of your social life here on iTell stories and everything beautiful.


Click Home to read more stories

Click Subscribe for updates on our next post


For more info about Joy Brownson, social handles etc. kindly click on the "Hall of Fame" page or simply click Hall of Fame

Comments

  1. Beautiful story although I’d love to know about Joy's happiest moment in life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thank you. About Joy's happy moments... Well, you could always check her out on TikTok or other social platforms listed in the post๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. I love it๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful content, man. You never cease to produce masterclass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me feel like I was in the room, a secret listener to your two-way conversation. I love it.

    The part of the senior being sickle cell anaemic confused me though. Took me a whole 30secs to understand she didn’t mean “SS” as in secondary school.

    Amazing interview, generally. Make the next one longer. That’s an order from a fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh๐Ÿ˜… thank you...
      Making it longer? we'll look into that next time❤️.

      Delete
    2. For the SS, it's been edited. Thank you for pointing that out

      Delete
  5. Med oooo๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜… I just know who has this comment

      Delete
  6. Funny enough joy’s embarrassing moment is one of my secondary school memories that I still remember till date. I felt so embarrassed like I was the one being put on the spot. I’m happy she pulled through. One thing she’s too nice to say was that she was a strong willed girl, I don’t think there’s anything anyone could ever say or do to joy that could break her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, wow. Lol.
      And yeah, she is amazing ❤️

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a riveting piece. The questions and the answers were beautiful. Your cousin is very beautiful and from her answers, she seems kind. Keep up the good work, Sir.

    From a fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading๐Ÿ˜ yes, Joy is a really kind person cause between me and her, I ask for more favours and she keeps delivering. Lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Trending Posts