Far From Home (2022 series) Netflix

Far From Home, nope! Not the Spiderman series.

This “Far From Home” is not so far from our home, Nigeria. The movie is a young adult home series produced by Netflix, also happens to be the first Nigerian young adult TV series.

Well I’m not here to give spoilers nor sneak peeks, just here to air my heart. If you’re reading this, it probably means you’ve watched the movie, or you’re about to. Either ways, you’re here.

Far From Home is the story of Ishaya Bello, played by Mike Afolarin

Ishaya is a teenager from a poor family, a very talented artist who hopes to someday show the world "everything" he's made of, well in this case, "every-art".

Then there’s me, “Barnabas Ekpima”.

Oh no! I’m not in the movie LOL, just here to talk about the movie. I realize Ishaya’s story had been my story at some point, and has probably been your story too, or currently is. 

I dare say, 65 percent of budding artists in Nigeria can relate to Ishaya’s story.

Before I proceed, I’d like to give credits to the head scriptwriter, “Dami Elebe”, for putting together this beautiful movie. If you’ve watched Skinny Girl in Transit, or Rumour Has It, then you’ve obviously witnessed the brilliance of Dami Elebe, cause both movies were also written by her.

Back to our “Ishaya”, he’s talented but lacks the means to fund his dreams; a young teenager struggling to pursue his dream of becoming a renowned artist. Amidst this dilemma, he’s saddled with the responsibility of catering for his family being that his father is unable to work due to an accident. 

In the course of helping his younger sister pursue her dream of studying in Wilmer Academy, he stumbles on the opportunity to win a scholarship to Wilmer Academy (his sister’s dream school), although he is only interested in using the scholarship grant to fund his trip to London where he has been offered an apprenticeship with established artist, Essien (Deyemi Okanlawon).

Deyemi Okanlawon (left) and Mike Afolarin (right) 

As Ishaya’s story unfolds, we see that every attempt he makes to pursue his dreams only lands him in more trouble.

In watching this movie, I have also realized the freedom that art affords the human mind, and the misery that comes with it, if left untamed.

Ishaya’s love for art, at several points was the only strand of hope he could hold onto. And often times, in pursuit of this hope, he wanders away from responsibility and the situation at hand (does this ring a bell).

Ishaya’s younger sister declines the scholarship because… (oh no spoilers, I remember). Eventually, Ishaya receives the scholarship in lieu of his sister. 

He's admitted into the country’s most expensive school, which then affords him the liberty to mingle with the children of the elite, plunging him into a world of love, lies, friendship, and many enemies.

Meanwhile, a huge secret threatens his newfound status and, ultimately, the safety of his family; as though his love and desire to be a renowned artist was both his dream and also his undoing, sad.

To quote a line from one of my favourite poets, Jolade Olusanya, “Treat your homes like you live in them, even though your minds have built mansions in the cosmos…”, as a poet, watching this movie made me realize the need for balance. 

Everything has its place, art, love, family and relationships. Never let one override the other. And because I promised not to give spoilers (for the sake of those yet to watch), here’s where I’ll draw the curtains.

Dami brings this beautiful story to an end in episode five, which fits perfectly with another line from Jolade's poems, "It was my fault to assume that my father's house would be big enough to hold my world".

Leave your comments below, let’s know what part of the movie inspired you or whatever you have to say about the movie. 

I had chosen to talk about Ishaya cause I could relate to his life in a certain way. You could tell us which character you loved more.



I remain your humble host, Barnabas Ekpima.



Click Home to view more trending posts, click Subscribe for updates on our next post

Follow iTell stories and everything beautiful:

Instagram @nabaswrites
YouTube: Barnabas Ekpima





 

Comments

  1. As much as I loved how ambitious Ishaya was, his narcissistic nature was full blown

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could barely see anyone who doesn't love Ishaya, that's why he's the main lead... But then the bad decisions he made without thinking about the others, marred his image to me, a lil bit. Asides that, I love the movie cuz it's relatable and first of it's kind for Nollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, you cannot but love Ishaya, the bad decisions— we see clearly that he's oblivious to the fact that most of his choices are at the detriment of others... All he wants is to pursue his dreams. Which in a way is bad.

      Yes. It's also the first of it' kind for Netflix.

      Delete
  3. I didn't enjoy the movie because it didn't resonate with me to some extent. I think it was the doing of my mind. But I love, love, love this review. It brings out the "home" in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “In watching this movie, I have also realized the freedom that art affords the human mind, and the misery that comes with it, if left untamed.” 🙌🏽

    I believe this line to be a summary of Ishaya’s character. The only thing bad about this review, is that it ends. I wish you had give more excerpts (spoilers 🌚) from the movie’s scenes as you drew your themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Promise, even if this comment didn't have a name to it, the moment I read "...the only thing bad about this review is that it ends...", I would figure it was you😁

      Thank you, once again.

      Delete
  5. Lovely review! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly ishaya work reluctantly to make money for his family and at d same time his dream but his ignorance also made him do what he did not suppose to do. Involving himself in dangerous acts to d extent of putting his family and friends' life in danger. Thank God e comes back to his senses and makes everything right if not hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review! I need to go watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay...
    If this is coming from the scriptwriter of Skinny Girl in Transit, then it must be really cool.🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Trending Posts