"Hello, your smile looks familiar, is this deja Vu, have I loved you before?"

 


I'm really grateful for the opportunity to feature one of Africa's finest poet and photographer, Ofem Ubi. 

1. Ofem, I've been into poetry since 2017, but I must say, your style of poetry is really beautiful— I'd like to ask, when did you know you could write (what pushed you into poetry)?

What pushed me into poetry was predominantly the need to vocalise, to be heard and to share. For someone who barely talks, writing was that avenue to vent and just be vulnerable. It worked. Although now I've learnt to be more vocal and vulnerable, but it started through writing. I always knew I could write, it was the only thing I was ever drawn to initially.



I read by writing. Everything I've done has me documenting something down, it was only a matter of when I chose to take it seriously and eventually I did.


2. You're one of the few Nigerian artists that has taken up poetry as a profession, how does it feel to be a poet in a country that upholds white-collar professions in high esteem?      

                

I feel indifferent. I feel unperturbed, honestly. There's a legion of writers in various corners of this country who are also doing the most they can in writing stellar poems every single day. The bar is rising and more poets keep emerging from closed spaces into rooms that years we wouldn't even have imagined them getting into. Normally there's the monthly financial security that comes with white-collar profession, but then I believe everything is a choice.





3. Your style of photography (documentary) is rare, and not really in vogue in Nigeria as it ought to, have you ever been under pressure to go conventional, by that I mean if you've ever felt the urge to go into regular photography?

Yes, but I'm someone who also is able to discern what works for him. You want to pay the bills with your skill because basically an artist must eat, what brings the change quick enough is regular or conventional photography as you would call it. But I'm more drawn to something else, I'm more drawn to creating works (whatever form) that can make room for extensive dialogue in whatever subject matter they're addressing and as such, I had to choose which would work for me. 




It takes time for people to come around but when they do, you basically get hired to do you and for me that's more warding– financially and creatively.


4. I'm a big fan of your poems, and there was a time you'd written about love (quite a long time ago)— this might be personal, but I'd like to know if you've ever been in love?




I can't remember the last time I wrote a love poem (fake, all fake!)

Yes, I've been. I believe it is such a beautiful thing everybody should experience, especially when it is mutual.


5. Where do you see yourself in few years to come? What's the picture you have in mind for your art (poetry, photography and videography)?



I don't know. That's for God and me to decide as the days go by. 5 years ago I didn't know I would be here, so I'm not putting that pressure on myself– I have time, the author and finisher of my faith I believe has blessed me with that. 

The goal is to keep creating work and making space for myself through the things I do.

I've always wanted to access and harness every form of art God has equipped me with. I want to have them stand alone as independent forms and yet still be able to blend them into making mixed bodies of work. Poetry, photography, film are those forms for now, but don't be surprised if you see me venture into any other form. The goal keeps expanding.


6. Lastly, this is a random question— beans and bolé or beans and bread, which would you prefer? 😁

I mean beans and bread is quite amazing but bole is not my mate. Beans and bole please.




Click Home to read more stories

Click Subscribe for updates on our next post

For more info about Ofem (social media handles, etc) kindly visit the Hall of Fame page or simply click Hall of Fame


Comments

Post a Comment

Trending Posts