Our letters were goofy... They were composed from the smallest and finest parts of us.

There's something very beautiful about writing letters to your friends.

There's a softness to it that WhatsApp messages, Instagram messages and Snapchat messages do not have.


I wrote letters to Barnabas and sent them as mails for four months, last year. I used a small Nokia ASHA phone then, and to access my mail I had to login to a browser everyday. The excitement I felt each time I waited for a response to my mail was palpable. The feeling was so strong that I felt slightly terrible each time I logged in my email and refreshed it, but didn't see an inbox from him. Lol.

But that only happened on a three out of ten scale. I got replies to my mails almost daily, and it was, if I may say, one of the most beautiful things in my day. Our letters were goofy, light and fluffy. They were composed from the smallest and finest parts of us. Sometimes with a hint of sadness, other times with a review of a book one of us had read. It was something worth looking forward too.

All things come to an end. I got an Android phone and completely forgot about sending emails. Why send them, when I can easily send a voice note.

I told Barnabas today that I miss sending him emails. And he said, "Yeah. It felt like we were in the 80s writing secret... letters via mails cause WhatsApp had not been invented, haq!" 😅

Hilarious!



Ibadan, Nigeria.

© Mmokut Uttah

May 18, 2022.


Click Home to read more stories

Click Subscribe for updates on our next post


For more info about Mmokut (social media handles, etc) kindly visit the "Hall of Fame" page or simply click Hall of Fame


Comments

Trending Posts