Nine Liars — Maureen Johnson [Ikanke-Abasi Umana]

There are no spoilers... I think.

It’s been several weeks since I read Maureen Johnson’s Nine Liars, and about the same time since I said I was going to write about it. 

Technically, I’d already written, contested and finalized my thoughts, but it turns out you can’t publish writing that exists only in your head. A shame really.

Nevertheless, I’ll try to remember what I thought all those weeks ago, and in places where I forget, think again, and type for all to see.

Nine Liars is the first book I read in 2023 (congratulations, Ikanke-Abasi). It is the fifth in the Truly Devious series that tells the story of Stevie Bell (a “true crime aficionado” and sleuth), her friends; Janelle, Nate, and Vi; and her boyfriend, David. As is tradition, they are all teenagers. Well, except David maybe.

I was really into mysteries in 2021 and started reading the series then. 

The general idea of Truly Devious was not brand-new but the circumstances felt very fresh and whole. The books and their characters were lovely and it was such a joy that I happened on them without any foreknowledge. The same feeling you get when you find money in your jeans.

So I unquestionably, thoroughly, loved the first three. The fourth too, even though my friend and reading buddy, Eddie, felt that Stevie had become sort of obsessed with David. I didn’t notice.

Similarly, when I finished Nine Liars, I was in love. Stevie was a wonder, having incredibly flawed judgement but still managing to inspire great joy. The book was perfect and that was that.

It wasn’t until Eddie said she wasn’t going to read it that I thought about what could possibly be wrong with Nine Liars. I soon had to admit that although it was great, it wasn’t as perfect as I wanted to believe.

Here are my thoughts in bullet points:

What I Liked

  1. I love how Maureen managed to navigate the abundance of characters without losing their depth. Every character was distinct and properly developed. It never felt like you were being turned around in conversations, trying to figure out who was who. It did help that some of them died but still, incredible.
  2. The humour. I mean, what's murder without a side of Nate jokes?
  3. The history and geography of London that was woven into the story. I think it’s very brave for writers to take on physical or social environments they aren’t native to. Plus, I really like history.
  4. I like that although the timeline was short, the book did not feel rushed. Everything was well-paced and realistically timed.

What I Did Not Like 

  1. I knew who did it. I mean, I always try to guess who did it, and I sometimes want to be right but this was too easy. I didn't even have to change my position on the suspect 14 times.
  2. I was only scared twice. In fact, I only had to check if I was the only person in the room and cover myself one of those times.
  3. There were fewer detours and ups and downs. It was a shorter book.
  4. The emotions were too simple. Stevie lied that enormous lie and they just forgave her? Just like that? The lifelong friends of the murderer just believed Stevie and turned against their friend? Just like that?? The emotions were too convenient.
  5. There was less of everyone except Stevie. It was probably to accommodate all the new characters but I missed Janelle.
  6. The end. Really Maureen? I thought we were friends.

Conclusion

Readers always want the next book out as soon as we put the previous one down but I suppose it comes at a cost. I think when writers are able to pour time into their work, it increases in substance.

I love Maureen Johnson and her work. Nine Liars isn’t flawless but it’s a great book. I would absolutely recommend it and the entire series.

So, this is the end. You’re welcome to clap and leave a comment. As a gift, here are a few of my best quotes from Nine Liars. Enjoy.

White made Stevie feel like a sacrifice.

----------------

They followed him for so long that Stevie started to wonder if they were the victims of a very lazy kidnapping.

----------------

“A battered burger?” Nate said, a certain amount of awe in his voice.

“Go for it,” David said. “Arteries are for losers.”

----------------

Janelle shifted in deep discomfort. Vi stared into the remains of the chickpea curry on their plate. Nate was so utterly expressionless that he was no longer with them in spirit. He had moved on to some other plane of existence.

----------------

The Tower of London, Stevie was embarrassed to find, was not a tower.

----------------

“Here for a bad time,” Nate said, “not for a long time.”

----------------

Trash was archaeology. Trash always told the truth.

----------------

When you want someone to tell you something—don’t ask, tell it wrong.

----------------

“You tell me the truth,” Janelle said. “Lies are poison.”

This review was first published on Medium 


Follow Ikanke-Abasi Umana @Hall of Fame 


To send in your stories, poems and reviews — click here.
Click Home to view more trending posts, click Subscribe for updates on our next post


Instagram @nabaswrites
YouTube: Barnabas Ekpima







Comments

Post a Comment

Trending Posts